[Ocfs2-users] future of ocfs2

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at openlane.com
Fri Feb 6 12:37:52 PST 2009

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ocfs2-users-bounces at oss.oracle.com [mailto:ocfs2-users-
> bounces at oss.oracle.com] On Behalf Of Jeremy Schneider
> Sent: 02/06/2009 11:19
> To: Sunil Mushran
> Cc: oracle-l at freelists.org; ocfs2-users at oss.oracle.com
> Subject: Re: [Ocfs2-users] future of ocfs2

<deleted other parts as I am going to give a view to just the question
below>

> It would also be helpful to hear if anyone has done wide deployments
of
> OCFS. (How many systems do you have running it?) Or any other
> experiences/stories about working with ocfs2. I'm curious - how many
> people on the oracle-l list are running ocfs2?
>
> Thanks again for all the feedback; I'll be sure to post an update
later
> with some of the outcomes!

My company has been running OCFS since begin of 2003. 1.5 years ago we
changed over to OCFS2.
With the exception of timing tuning we have had relative little
problems. We ran twice into bugs
which at that time were already fixed and we just upgraded. At this
point we run OCFS2 on four 2-node
clusters, one 4-node cluster and one 6-node cluster.

The OCFS2 file system is used to hold the voting and ocr files on one
5GB OCFS2 volume for each cluster
and several other OCFS2 volumes per cluster to hold Datafiles or Archive
files. We use SnapClone on our
3Par SANs to provide the development environment with copies from the
production database. OCFS2 so far
has worked very well with SnapClone, recovery takes less than a minute
and using this method our refresh
went from taking 7+ hours to about 1 hour.

In total we hold about 10TB on OCFS2 at this point.

Ulf.