[Ocfs2-users] future of ocfs2

Jeremy Schneider jeremy.schneider at ardentperf.com
Fri Feb 6 11:18:58 PST 2009

Sunil Mushran wrote:
> Your qs is not new. I have heard people speculate about ocfs2's future
> for many years now. First it was ASM. Now something else.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. These aren't new questions - of
course - but they are persistent; and sometimes rumors about new
features coupled with someone who "worked at Oracle at heard that ocfs2
had some problems" and a pinch of psychological bias (c.f.
http://carymillsap.blogspot.com/2009/02/on-usefulness-of-software.html )
can prevail over reasonable dialog. :)

I've been pretty enthusiastic about ocfs ever since I contributed that
little bugfix to ocfs1 years ago but I haven't been keeping up-to-date
on recent ocfs2 developments. I didn't do any major deployments on ocfs
while I was consulting (we generally deployed RAC with ASM and
local-storage only) and the company I'm with now hasn't had any
experience with it. And since there's a little internal resistance to
this technology for the reasons outlined above, I need to sell it
internally.

Thanks especially to Sunil for mentioning Suse and the RH Linux Cluster
Group and to Joel for the point-by-point reply. Also thanks to Andrew,
LS, Julio and Alan for the non-Oracle-Corp perspectives - I need to hear
back from some people who don't work at Oracle.  (The oracle-l list is
great for that!)

It would also be helpful to hear if anyone has done wide deployments of
OCFS. (How many systems do you have running it?) Or any other
experiences/stories about working with ocfs2. I'm curious - how many
people on the oracle-l list are running ocfs2?

Thanks again for all the feedback; I'll be sure to post an update later
with some of the outcomes!

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider