[Ocfs2-users] future of ocfs2

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Thu Feb 5 22:35:31 PST 2009

I am puzzled as to why you have not just gone to git.kernel.org and
seen the change logs in Linus' tree. If you did, you would actually
see the work that is going on. And what you would see is that a lot of
work is going on. Just during 2.6.29's merge window, we have added
support for posix acls, security attributes, user/group quotas and
metadata checksumming. In the next kernel we hope to add indexed
directories among other features. The ocfs2 doc page maintains a list
of the features that are being added in mainline.

Your qs is not new. I have heard people speculate about ocfs2's future
for many years now. First it was ASM. Now something else. While I
cannot comment specifically on the blog post, all I can say is that
ocfs2's future is very bright. It is already being shipped by 2 of 3
enterprise distros and almost all non-enterprise distros including
Fedora. While we did start with a database focus, we have expanded our
user base to well beyond that. And we do not plan on slowing down
anytime soon.

Sunil Mushran

On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider at ardentperf.com