[Ocfs2-users] O2CB heartbeat: Not active

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Tue Apr 28 14:33:33 PDT 2009

McKinley, Reid wrote:

> We have installed OCFS2 1.4.1 and for some reason we can only get the
> mount point mounted on 1 of 2 nodes.  The 2^nd node shows that the
> heartbeat is not active.
>

> [root at nyclx2 ~]# service o2cb status
>
> Driver for "configfs": Loaded
>
> Filesystem "configfs": Mounted
>
> Driver for "ocfs2_dlmfs": Loaded
>
> Filesystem "ocfs2_dlmfs": Mounted
>
> Checking O2CB cluster tiaa: Online
>
>   Heartbeat dead threshold: 31
>
>   Network idle timeout: 30000
>
>   Network keepalive delay: 2000
>
>   Network reconnect delay: 2000
>
> Checking O2CB heartbeat: Not active       (<< --- why is heartbeat not
> active?? )

The o2cb heartbeat starts when a volume is mounted. Is that volume
mounted on the second node?

Or is your qs, the mount on the second node is failing. For that I would
suggest you check cluster.conf to ensure that the ip addresses are correct.
Also, suggest either shutting down iptables or adding rules to allow
traffic on the private network. Look for any firewalls between the nodes.
dmesg should have more information. In short, cluster mount requires the
nodes to connect to each other.

> Also, should we be concerned that the ocfs2_nodemanager does not show
> in this status?  We have seen this in some doc, but it never shows up
> in our status.
>
> [root at nyclx1 log]# rpm -qa|grep -i ocfs2
>
> ocfs2-tools-1.4.1-1.el5
>
> ocfs2console-1.4.1-1.el5
>
> ocfs2-2.6.18-92.el5-1.4.1-1.el5
>
> ocfs2-2.6.18-92.el5debug-1.2.8-2.el5
>
> ocfs2-2.6.18-92.el5-debuginfo-1.4.1-1.el5
>
> ocfs2-tools-debuginfo-1.4.1-1.el5
>
> [root at nyclx1 log]# uname -r
>
> 2.6.18-92.el5

No need for concern. The output of the o2cb init script in 1.4
is slightly different than 1.2. (You could do lsmod to check if the
module is loaded or not.)

$ lsmod | grep ocfs2
ocfs2_dlmfs            23944  1
ocfs2_dlm             176916  1 ocfs2_dlmfs
ocfs2_nodemanager     141044  103 ocfs2_dlmfs,ocfs2_dlm
configfs               28753  2 ocfs2_nodemanager