[Ocfs2-users] HELP - RAC Cant fsck bad superblock

Bob Metelsky bobmetelsky at comcast.net
Wed Sep 3 12:03:22 PDT 2008

Hi All
I just installed a 2 node ,10 r2 rac on centos Linux 4.6

My rac install was done by following Jeff Hunters document (excellent work!)
http://www.idevelopment.info/

For storage I used openfiler with the iscsi protocol
http://www.openfiler.com/

everything went perfect... to the letter, I gracefully shutdown the 2
nodes , then the openfiler appliance, when I went to start it back up,
openfiler complaining about  "Inconsistent filesystem structure "
This system has been restarted several times previously with no issues

So, I get on the openfiler server  in rescue mode

the partition is /dev/hdc4 id =8e LVM

essentially, Im  trying to fsck the mappings in /dev/mapper/mydevice
this was created by running

lvm pvscan
lvm vgscan
lvm lvchange -ay
lvm  lvscan

ie fsck -nv /dev/mapper/mydevice

/*Im getting "bad magic number in inode while looking up journal inode
or slot 0"
and
encountered unrecoverable errors while replaying the journals and will
not continue.*/

I have the ocfs2 tools installed on the openfiler server, and ocfs2 is
called by fsck

I really cant afford to reinstall - I need a way to fix the damaged
filesystem

This was an unbelievable amount of work to install and configure and its
all dependent on correcting this filesystem. Im hoping from some
information on how I can make the fix

Please HELP!
Bob