[Ocfs2-users] Unable to start cluster with one node

Tao Ma tao.ma at oracle.com
Mon May 12 20:06:25 PDT 2008

Hi David,

David Coulson wrote:
> Hi Tao,
>
>> nt a file system without any change in the configuration. So you may
>> try to mount it. If there is any problem, please paste the error
>> message here. Thanks.
>
> I tried to create a filesystem on a unused DRBD block device...
> mkfs.ocfs2 seemed to work okay, but it won't mount.
>
> # mount /mnt/mirror2
> ocfs2_hb_ctl: I/O error on channel while starting heartbeat
> mount.ocfs2: Error when attempting to run /sbin/ocfs2_hb_ctl: "Operation
> not permitted"
Are you sure you use the right device in your fstab? If yes, could you
please strace the mount process to see the arguments mount.ocfs2 give to
ocfs2_hb_ctl and why it fails?

> Another ocfs2 filesystem which was built earlier seems happy, however
> the two nodes were working together then.
So here you mean you can mount an old ocfs2 filesystem in your single
node, right? If yes, have you updated the ocfs2-tools recently(If you
use a new mkfs.ocfs2(like 1.3.9) and an old ocfs2_hb_ctl(like 1.2.x), it
will fails).

btw, is there any error message in dmesg?

Regards,
Tao