[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 strage freezes

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Tue Mar 4 10:28:54 PST 2008

stat-ing a file makes the fs acquire a readlock (PR) forcing the other node
to downgrade from writelock (EX) which then forces it to flush the dirty
pages
to disk. Say you have 500M to flush and your iscsi setup's io thruput is
30MB/s.
That'll be 16 secs.

Note: The nodes are not frozen. The ls and cp processes are waiting on the
pages to flush to disk.

You can confirm this by repeating the test and doing a "find ." instead
of ls.
The former will not stat the file (will only stat the directory) and
thus avoid
the force flush seen above.