[Ocfs2-users] Newbie questions

Ionel GARDAIS ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com
Tue Jul 1 06:20:50 PDT 2008

Hi list,

I'm about to give a try to ocfs2 as clustered storage for a mini-cluster.
For storage, we own 4 XRaids of 10.5TB each viewed as 8 disks of 3.5TB
(RAID 5 - spare disk).
For computation, we have 4 Dell PE1950 with a FC card running a x86_64
SMP RHEL4.6 linux.
Storage and compute nodes are interconnected through a QL SanBox 5200.

My plan is to use LVM2 (the classic, not the clusterd one) to present
one stripped logical device to the nodes.
Do I must use LVM to create this stripping or is OCFS2 able to
distribute writes over the disks ?
FAQ says that the maximum size of OCFS2 filesystem is 16TB for 32b
systems. Will I be able to break the limits with a 64b system and use
the whole 28TB in one partition ?

Thanks for the tips,
Ionel

--