[Ocfs2-users] "no space left on device" related to directory limit

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Wed Feb 27 10:47:37 PST 2008

No, this probably has to do with the fs unable to allocate inodes
because inode_alloc for its slot is full and that it is unable to
extend it because it could not find 4MB contiguous on disk. So, this
leads to a situation where one can create files on nodes that have
free space in their inode_alloc but not in others.

We are working on a solution to allow nodes to use free inodes
in inode_allocs for other slots. Hopefully will be in 1.2.9. Once
we do that, we could look into allowing users to preallocate space
in inode_allocs for all slots. This way users will be assured that
that many inodes will be created (and more if the inode_alloc
can be extended) and at the same time not worry about wasting space
if a slot or more remain unused.

If you (or anyone else) does run into this situation, run the script
stat_sysdir.sh and email me (or file a bugzilla) the output.

http://oss.oracle.com/~smushran/.debug/scripts/stat_sysdir.sh

Sunil