[Ocfs2-users] "no space left on device" related to directory limit

Luke Schierer luke-ocfs2 at schierer.org
Wed Feb 27 08:43:44 PST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 12:56:07PM +0100, Brekeveld, Feite wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a 3-node cluster setup with ocfs2.
>
> Since friday one of the nodes went down and would not become clustermember after a reboot because it was unable to write to the ocfs2 filesystem. Message: no space left on device.
>
> There is plenty of diskspace though.
>
> No problem whatsoever to create a file / directory on the filesystem using one of the other nodes.
>
> Today one of  the remaining 2-nodes got the same symptoms.
>
> We started deleting some directories after which we were able to get the clusternodes up-and-running again.
>
> Is there a limit on files / directories for an ocfs2 filesystem ? I've read something about 32000 subdirectories but with 21450 directories total we weren't even close to that number.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Feite Brekeveld

I have had this happen to a cluster I have with 5 nodes.  It started
when I forgot to change the heartbeat on one node and then had one
crash.  But I cannot find any way to recover from this, and the last
node to mount is very consistently only a few file creations away from
thinking it is out of space.

luke