[Ocfs2-users] mixed environment / why is setting up an oracle cluster on windows so hard?

Nicola Fankhauser nicola.fankhauser at variant.ch
Thu Feb 7 04:35:48 PST 2008

hello everybody

I successfully installed a *very* small two node cluster with a shared
volume on linux (both debian, one x86, one ARM [laugh not: NSLU2 :)]).

before that, I tried to install the "clusterware" package on my windows
xp box and it constantly complained about the three different ip
addresses it wanted to see, then I got so frustrated with numerous
manual hosts-file changes, loopback adapter installations, and finally
the installer not letting me do interface orderings myself (my "private"
adapter became always the main node name etc.) that I eventually just
quit trying.

why is installation on linux so easy and almost works out of the box,
while setting up the same thing on windows is massive PITA?

and, if I eventually would manage to install clusterware on windows -
would it play nicely with the linux boxes in a "mixed" cluster?

btw, I glanced through the archives of the last months (since there
seems to be no searchable archive), but did not find any posts about
this rather open question.

thanks & regards
nicola