[Ocfs2-users] Did anything substantial change between 1.2.4 and 1.3.9?

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 08:50:03 PDT 2008

> On 4/21/08, Tao Ma <tao.ma at oracle.com> wrote:

> Also please provide more details about it.

I am using nginx for a frontend load balancer, and nginx for a
webserver as well. This doesn't seem to be related to the webserver at
all though, it was happening before this.

lvs01 proxies traffic in to web01, web02, and web03 (currently using
nginx, before I was using LVS/ipvsadm)

*** Sorry, gmail triggered "send" before I was done ***

Every so often, one of the webservers sends me back a connection
timeout. Even under the more "stable" kernel. In the newer kernel,
when I put some load on it, the other machines would stop I/O to all
disks it seems like completely for a few seconds, like something was
blocking it (I think even the local non-ISCSI disk had 0% util)

The machine putting the load on it would panic and reboot (I have
kernel.panic = 60 in my sysctl.conf)

> This value is a little smaller, so how did you build up your shared
> disk(iSCSI or ...)? The most common value I heard of is 61. It is about 120
> secs. I don't know the reason and maybe Sunil can tell you. ;)
> You can also refer to

I think originally I did not understand why the values would be so
high. These machines are pretty much dedicated, there's not many of
them and they shouldn't be stressing anything that much to begin with.
However, for the sake of things, I can reset these to the defaults.
Problem is I have to restart the entire cluster for that. Will it work
if I change it on all of them, and then reboot each machine one at a
time? It seems like it won't link up if it has conflicting values, so
how can I ensure the machines won't be fighting each other all at the
same time?

FYI, This is how I made it:
mkfs.ocfs2 -b4k -C32k -N8 -L iscsi /dev/sdb1

It's an iSCSI export that my provider has. All this traffic is on the
same private gigabit interconnect.

Could there be any additional tuning parameters - there's probably
over 3 million files being stored on this 600GB volume. I'd say
average filesize is under 1MB too.