[Ocfs2-users] Did anything substantial change between 1.2.4 and 1.3.9?

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 00:29:33 PDT 2008

Hi, I'm running into a big issue. I believe it is OCFS2, I can get my
machines to kernel panic consistently.

Before I was running Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10) ocfs2-tools 1.2.4.

Now I am running Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) ocfs2-tools 1.3.9.

I am even running the same kernel (2.6.22-14), but the behavior has
changed with my OCFS2 mounts it seems. At first I thought it was due
to the newer kernel (2.6.24-16) but it isn't the case. Now it is
happening no matter which kernel I use. I even compiled my own vanilla
2.6.25, and it still has this issue.

I have 6 total clients mounting the ocfs2 partition:
- 2 batch servers which only access it every 5 or 10 minutes to load
up a PHP script to process
- 1 server I am trying to rsync from local RAID disk -> ocfs2  - I am
limiting this to 250kb/sec
- 3 webservers loading normal stuff - PHP scripts, graphics, media
files - maybe 2MB/sec combined total

That's not even 3MB/sec - yet when I start the rsync, pretty quickly
the server doing the rsync kernel panics and reboots. The 3 webservers
all have issues with reading from the OCFS2 mounted partition. The
%util all drops to 0, it's like it bottlenecks and suspends all disk
I/O on the webservers for a few seconds. Then things go back to normal
for a while.

Is there any additional info that could be useful? I am desperately in
need of help. I have hosting customers and somehow this upgrade has
pretty much crippled me...