[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 newbe please adives

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Thu Apr 17 10:27:34 PDT 2008

ocfs2 is a shared disk clustered filesystem. It allows multiple servers
to r/w concurrently to a volume. It is much more than a simple failover
in the sense that all servers are actively using the volume. And since
it requires a shared disk, the data is always available to all nodes.

So, if you have a shared disk setup, then you can use ocfs2 as the
datastore and use dlmfs to synchronize services between two or more nodes.
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/src/branches/ocfs2-1.2/dlmfs.txt
For e.g., EX holder of resource R starts the services. As only one node
can hold EX on any resource, you can ensure only one node is running
the service. The others will wait for the current holder to die to takeover.

If you don't have a fiber channel, etc. lying around you work place,
look into using iscsi. You will require a third machine to be the iscsi
target. Even enterprise distros are shipping with iscsi initiators (client)
and some even with targets (server).

Other option is to look into drbd. It provides shared disk between two
servers using disk mirroring. While it is not part of mainline kernel yet,
I am hearing more and more of it. Your mileage may vary.

Best of luck.
Sunil