[Ocfs2-users] Aditional interconnect interface

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Thu Oct 4 17:06:55 PDT 2007

This is pretty simple:

(1) Every server have, in most cases, more then 1 physical interface. In
many cases, these interfaces are already
connected to a different switches or even uses different medias. Even if
bonded, we have still a few of them.
(2) Cluster is extremely sensitive to the lost of interconnection, because
it cause fencing or self-fencing
(reboot or panic, in simple words) on some nodes, and delays on anothers.
(3) If we use heartbeat over few independent IP interfaces, then we don't
depend of switch timeouts, bonding timeouts, bonding rules
and other things that affects all low level bondings, trunkings and so on.
These timeouts are not small - for example, STP reconfiguration in Ethernet
takes 40 seconds BY DEFAULT.
(4) WE DO HAVE THEE INTERFACES ALREADY.
(5) Implementing few heartbeats costs almost 0 for developers.

It explains why most clusters supports few heartbeats. I always configure
heartbeat over ALL available medias. If I have NFS cluster, I use 3 media -
eth0 (public), eth1 (SAN), eth2 (management), plus serial. The reason is
simple - it is very important to keep cluster interconnection in case of
medial failure - it allows nodes to switchover in a few seconds because they
can communicate and know each other's status.

Now let's image that I can not use multi interface for heartbeat (or VCS, it
don't make much difference) cluster. Switch fail so that node1 lost
ethernet1.
What shoudl node2 do:
- reboot? But what if node1 is dead.
- take control? But it is not sure if node1 is dead.
- kill node1? But what if node1 lost ethernet and node2 is the only alive
member.

No way to resolve it,. If I use bonding (aside of need in 2 more
interfaces) - node still must wait 30 - 40 seconds to eliminate switch
timeouts, bonding timeouts and so on.

Now notice - nodes can talk, they are interconnected. By eth0, eth2 and
serial. So what's the problem? heartbeat is pretty simple thing with OR
rule - if
any channel respond, node is alive. No complexity to implement it.

Now I run thru a few implementations. Every one which have not ORACLE in
name allows me to use many heartbeats. 5 examples - Cisco PIX,
Veritas VCS, Linux heartbeat1, Linux heartbeat2, NetApp cluster (2
independent inter-connections). And Oracle is the only exception, Why?