[Ocfs2-users] Aditional interconnect interface

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Thu Oct 4 12:30:52 PDT 2007

It's old relogious discussion. All people who works in data centers knows,
that cluster MUST use more then 1 heartbeat (better 3 or 4, not bonded)
interface for stability, but Oracle developers (both RAC and OCFSv2) believe
in bonding.

(Bonding DO NOT solve the problem! It have sugnificant switchover time and
it is not reliable enough.  Open Veritas cluster documentation and READ IT -
they have a pretty good explanation why you must configure 2 independent
heartbeats using 2 independent switches or hubs. Veritas use multi
interface. Cisco PIX uses multi interface. Heartbeat1 uses multi interface.
Heartbeat2 uses multi interfaces. And only Oracle* developers use 1
interface and trust into the bonding!)

Using additional loopback interface  and routing (via OSPF which is pretty
fast) can solve problem too. (for OCFS bot not for RAC cluster).