[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2_extend_file:754 ERROR: status = -28

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Wed Nov 28 15:31:00 PST 2007

-28 means ENOSPC. It gets printed when the requested space is larger
than the available space. So 25% full makes no difference. All it
takes is to request 1 byte more than the available space. I am more
puzzled by the fact that the error is not showing up in userspace
(via the app).

Having said that, we should not be printing -28 errors at all. It
needs to be handled by the userspace. We recently pushed a patch to
the mainline for the same.

If you are very curious and want to get to the bottom of this, do:

# debugfs.ocfs2 -l INODE allow
... do activity that throws the error...
# debugfs.ocfs2 -l INODE off

Scan the messages file for the -28 error. Above that you should
see a message saying "clusters_to_add = ...". That will tell us
how much the user wanted to extend the file. The number in paren
is the pid. Use ps to lookup the process.

Caution: This method will work best if you know the exact steps to
generate the -28 error. If not, then you may fill up the messages
file even more.

BTW, 2.6.19 is very old. Upgrade to 2.6.21 atleast.