[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 + Xen node

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Wed Nov 7 12:48:51 PST 2007

Jorge Cabello wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to use ocfs2 as the root filesystem for xen virtual nodes. If
> I leave ocfs2 as a module the system doesn't boot as it doesn't find a
> supported filesystem for the root partition.

How does the VM access the shared storage? Lets say you use Iscsi.
For the root partition to mount an ocfs2 volume, you will need to log in
to the iscsi target and then  mount the ocfs2 volume all this handled by
the initrd. This may be difficult to accomplish. I would start with
getting a iscsi target (ext3 )  root partition working , then  work on
ocfs2.
> I have also tried to include ocfs2 inside the kernel (not as a module)
> on the virtual node to be able to mount the root partition but it also
> doesnt work. With this option I'm not even able to mount other
> partitions as o2cb doesn't find the module.

Once again, try mounting the root partition on boot only using iscsi.
This is easier as you avoid creating a custom initrd.