[Ocfs2-users] PBL with RMAN and ocfs2

Alexei Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon May 14 15:59:27 PDT 2007

Oracle requires it BY MISTAKE and in documentation only (but not in the
system). It works better with 'intr' mode on NFS.

nointr prevents SHUTDOWN to kill application. As a result, if NFS server
died you can't kill application (such as rman for example).

I personally advice AGAINST 'nointr' in any environment esp. for the things
other then redo logs. The best setting for NFS should be

  tcp,hard,intr,noac (rsize and wsize optional, and not 'bg')

PS. Oracle dont require 'nointr' in reality; it require (verifies) 'hard'
mount but 'nointr' is optional. 'hard' prevents io interruptions because of
network glitches and so is required for consistency, while having 'intr'
option allows shutdown to work correctly and do not have any danger (no
difference IO is sticked AND someone shutdown appllication).  Allowing
'nointr' mounts in production 100% guarantee problems with shutdowns. And
btw, any non-network mount behaves as 'soft' and not 'hard' so it is even
more amazing who selected these options in oracle (soft could be even better
choice because it translate IO errors to the application
so appolication can make a preventive actions). I already had a fun because
of this strange requirements for 'hard' (we dont want 'hard' mount for
backup area),
but I can live with 'hard' if 'intr' is turned on (but not without it).

PPS. What's the use of preventing interrupted IO-s? if someone can't
shutdown your application because 'nointr' then he
will power reset the whole server (so making things much worst because
application can't shutdown normally). With 'intr', yes application got io
error in io and signal in high level and will die (or shutdown depending of
signal) and it is better then power reset the whole box.

Do you want application (oracle archiver for example) to be sticked forever
if one of NFS servers (one of a few archive destinations) don't answer? I
dont think so,