[Ocfs2-users] OCFSv2 in a mail cluster environment

Andy Kipp AKIPP at velcro.com
Tue Mar 13 05:33:59 PDT 2007

We run OCFS2 for a GroupWise 7 Post Office for about 700 users. The post office stores mailboxes (header information) as small database files (~30mb each). And individual messages as many small files (~2kb each). In total, the file system has about 1 million files in it.

We have run into some trouble when trying to preform heavy I/O operations on the file system such as a backup or file indexing (updatedb). Our solution was to do incremental hot copy of the message store to reduce load during a backup. Also, you could use snapshot technology if you have such a thing on your SAN. We have a NetApp FAS3020 and use "SnapDrive" to mount a snapshot as a volume and preform a tape backup.

- Andy
--

Andrew Kipp
Network Administrator
Email: akipp at velcro.com
Work: (603) 222-4844

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e mail and destroy all copies of the original message.  If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to receive communications through this medium, please so advise immediately.

<17910.36381.40065.998298 at localhost.localdomain>, Sergio Lopez <slopez at efor.es>