[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 is still eating memory

John Lange john.lange at open-it.ca
Thu Mar 8 13:22:08 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 13:46 -0800, Sunil Mushran wrote:
> Well, kswapd is supposed to flush the caches. As in, the vm
> controls the lifetime of the inodes in the inode_cache not ocfs2.
>
> All ocfs2 can do is free the memory associated with the inode when
> asked to. And it does that when you manually flush the cache. Qs is
> why the vm is not doing it on its own. (fwiw, you are on a beta kernel.)

We are using beta kernels in an attempt to solve this problem. As
everyone knows, the most recent official SUSE kernel (2.6.16.21-0.25 i
believe?) completely broke ocfs2. Downgrading to 2.6.16.21-0.15 solves
that problem but the memory issue remains.

So as far as I am aware, there is no SUSE kernel that works with ocfs2
which is where we find ourselves today.

I just upgraded to the latest KOTD:

2.6.16.42-SLES10_SP1_BRANCH_20070307114604-smp

And still, when running ocfs2, all ram gets consumed.

Right now Novell is playing the "you don't have premium support" game so
where should I report this bug?

Regards,

John Lange