[Ocfs2-users] Best way to use multiple ocvfs2 volumes

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 11:42:03 PDT 2007

Randy,

     If you have one big volume with several partitions you will have to stop all servers if you want to create new partitions or delete one, or be extremelly careful. With LVM2 and CLVM you could work with one big disk without this kind of trouble.

    Personally I prefer having multiple small volumes and letting the storage do the hard work. You will still need to reboot the server or reload the hba module to force a bus scan in order to see new volumes, but you can do this one server at a time.

      Before doing this kind of reorganization on production with everything running  I would recommend testing it well. RedHat 2.1 used to rescan the bus dynamically and I had some bad experiences, like sda suddenly becoming sdb with the filesystems mounted. I believe current kernels are better with this kind of stuff, and you should have no trouble if you are using a software like powerpath.

     I do not know if there is any way to force a bus rescan without reloading the hba module. Sugestions, anyone?

Regards,
Luis

"Marcos E. Matsunaga" <Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com> wrote:        Randy,

 You can either create multiple partitions in a volume and mount them or just use the whole volume, it doesn't matter. Make sure the disks are accessible on all nodes, define your cluster, format and mount. Works just like other FS, with the exception of the cluster part.

 A single cluster can handle a large number of partitions without problem.

 Randy Ramsdell wrote:
Hi,

What would be the best way to implement multi-use of a ocfs2 cluster?

We need to have several (2-4) different mount points that provide
clustered data for different services. I don't think we can have 2
different clusters on 1 machine so would mounting multiple ocfs2
partitions/volumes for each of these services on the same cluster work?
Or what would be the best way to handle this?

We could use 1 large volume with multiple partitions or several volumes
with a partition/raw device.

Thanks,
Randy Ramsdell

Regards,