[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 custom builds

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Thu Jul 19 12:50:42 PDT 2007

O, not . Distro DOES NOT test combinations, But distro users de facto test
them. Your uniq combination is never tested at all.

And it is primary difference. Can't talk about all distro's but have
impression that few I worked with don't test much - anyway, we know about
problems in advance from angry users.

> How so? So you believe that the distro has FULLY tested every possible
> combination of its drivers? If that were the case, why do they provide
> newer versions of the packages in the first place. And when they do
> provide a new package, you think they test that to the level you
> suggested we need to qualify ocfs2 as stable? How many packages have you
> seen in a distro that were provided and have WELL KNOWN bugs? I can't
> count the number. I have even seen distros release a new version KNOWING
> that many huge bugs have not been fixed and I mean documented bugs.
>
> The source for a module should be just that. How does it differ than
> when it is patched into the kernel by the kernel devs? It should not be
> different or why provide source in the first place. We are talking about
> a driver and only a driver. Once again, I believe upgrading the whole
> kernel  just to upgrade one  of  the thousands of drivers  is just
> overkill.

Vice versa - making your own uniq combination of driver and kernel is much
more dangerous. Of course, exceptions always do exists.