[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 custom builds

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Thu Jul 19 10:38:17 PDT 2007

Randy Ramsdell wrote:
> Ok, you already do that correct? Why prevent end users from compiling
> your source on the later kernels ( the ones that are compatible). From
> my original post, I was referring to the fact that it says we will not
> be able to compile the source on kernels it is compatible with.

Because it may not build.

OCFS2 was merged with the mainline kernel during 2.6.16. For sometime,
we made available patches that allowed users to build ocfs2 1.2 against
the mainline kernel. We did this because it took us sometime to stabilize
the code in the mainline kernel. As in, streamline the process to ensure
all bug fixes are applied to all trees.... 1.2 and various kernel releases.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/

Since 2.6.20, we have have a process in which we ensure that bug fixes
are not only applied to the current mainline version but also made
available for older kernels via the above url. (Yes we are aware of the
stable kernel release, but its rules are fairly strict that we cannot
always satisfy.)

So, if you are using a 2.6.20 or later kernel, use ocfs2 bundled with it.
Check the above url for any applicable fixes. No, Oracle RDBMS is not
supported on this.

If you want to stick to OCFS2 1.2, then stick to the kernels provided
with EL or SLES.

>> The only way we can keep the fs compatible with the kernel
>> is to keep updating the fs too. The version of the fs in the
>> kernel tree tracks the kernel.
>>
> Then the source should be compatible too correct?

Which source? Only the one that is bundled with the mainline tree is
guaranteed to be compatible with that kernel.

> Interesting. So you are saying that 1.2 only works with heavily patched
> kernels for only 2 distros? I just don't get that. If fact, I haven't
> too much of an issue so far compiling on different distros as long as I
> am able to find patches to your source that haven't been released or
> aren't contained within the provided source.
That it builds and works is fine. All we are saying is that it is not
guaranteed.