[Ocfs2-users] Question about taking down a cluster

Mark Fasheh mark.fasheh at oracle.com
Tue Jan 30 23:27:27 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 11:08:20PM -0800, Brandon Lamb wrote:
> So I shutdown one, then two. But how does the quorum(sp?) work? If I
> am down to only 2 servers up and running will they fence? I read
> something about the lowest number node having more votes or something
> like that?

If you do a regular shutdown (via umount), there should be no fencing - the
node shutting down communicates to the others so that they expect it to
disappear shortly.

The quorum calculation only comes into play when nodes unexpectedly lose
network communication with each other.

> Do I need to shut my nodes down in reverse order of what node # they
> are in the cluster.conf so that the node id 0 is the last of the nodes
> to be shut down?

No shutdown order is required - just be sure that the iscsi stack doesn't
shut down before ocfs2 is unmounted :)
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh