[Ocfs2-users] Unstable Cluster Node

Randy Ramsdell rramsdell at livedatagroup.com
Tue Dec 4 06:56:23 PST 2007

Mark Fasheh wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 02:28:42PM -0500, Randy Ramsdell wrote:
>
>> And this is the MAIN reason driver upgrades should never be  tied to a
>> kernel upgrade. I will never understand why vendors and developers force a
>> complete kernel OS upgrade for a simple driver. It makes absolutely zero
>> sense.
>>

> Unfortunately, that's the way the mainline Linux kernel works these days and
> therefore it's pretty much out of our hands. Enterprise vendor kernels are
> the obvious exception here.
>
> At any rate, ocfs2-users isn't the place for this discussion. If you still
> feel you need to air your grievances, you should direct your e-mail to the
> Linux Kernel mailing list.
> 	--Mark
>
> --
> Mark Fasheh
> Senior Software Developer, Oracle
> mark.fasheh at oracle.com

I thought about sending this directly to you, but it is related to the
ocfs2-users group, because I regularly have to compile the ocfs2 drivers
and we do not upgrade our kernels for this. Each time I only have to
patch a very few lines and it compiles as expected. Are you saying that
to include driver source into the kernel source, it stops the driver
from compiling separately  as a module? I really know the answer to
this, but thought maybe you could elaborate as to why you say that it is
the procedure for adding driver source to the kernel source as the problem.

Randy Ramsdell