[Ocfs2-users] Error mounting ocfs2 partition...

Jeff Vincent jvincent at novell.com
Wed Sep 20 11:34:05 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm new to this list and to the ocfs2 system and to clustering in general (3 strikes?--ack!).  I have some problems with my first attempt at configuring an ocfs2 system and need some perspective.  My setup is a Compaq Proliant CL380 2 node cluster with a shared storage array.  Both nodes are currently running SLES 10.  However, I am just trying to get one node working.   I have read the User Guide, but can't get it working.  I also don't know if I even created the ocfs2 partition correctly.

I started by just running ocfs2console, but no devices showed up.  My shared array is located at /dev/sda.  I then created a Linux(0x83) partition (/dev/sda1)  using fdisk.  At that point I could format it from ocfs2console, then it shows up in the device list.  I couldn't see in any of the docs if this was the correct procedure or if the partition type is correct.

However, when I attempt to mount it, I get:

ocfs2_ht_ctl: Unable to access cluster services while starting heartbeat
mount.ocfs2: Error when attempting to run /sbin/ocfs2_ht_ctl: "Operation not permitted: : Could not mount /dev/sda1

Doing /etc/init.d/ocfs2 status shows no output of any sort.  Doing /etc/init.d/ocfs2 status shows:

Module "configfs": Loaded
Filesystem "configfs": Mounted
Module "ocfs2_nodemanager": Loaded
Module "ocfs2_dlm": Loaded
Module "ocfs2_dlmfs": Loaded
Filesystem "ocfs2_dlmfs": Mounted
Checking cluster ocfs2: Online
Checking heartbeat: Not active

Here is my /etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf:

node:
        ip_port = 7777
        ip_address = 192.168.0.162
        number = 0
        name = st162
        cluster = ocfs2

cluster:
        node_count = 2
        name = ocfs2

>From what little I found about the heart beat being "Not Active" seemed to mean that the volume was not mounted, but I can't mount the volume.

What am I missing?  Thanks for any help/perspective you can offer.

-Jeff