[Ocfs2-users] lvm2 not cluster aware - okay, so how should Istripe my LUNs?

Fabio Corazza fabio at newbay.com
Wed Oct 25 14:06:05 PDT 2006

Alexei_Roudnev wrote:
> It can be correct, but EVMS (which supports clustering) != lvm2 .
>
> But I believe, that adding too many new components into existing Linux (such
> as RHEL4 + GFS + EVMS + heartBeat + GLM)
> means a very high possibility to catch a bug (and so have very low
> reliability). Remember, that you need monthes to test such things - even if
> yiu have a very good test team, you can't model all failures and real life
> situations until you run it somewhere for a long.

Sorry if I'm picking up an old thread. I would like to mention that
providing incorrect information like those ones (GLM and GFS have
nothing to do with EVMS, Heartbeat and OCFS2) would just add confusion
to an already sensitive subject.

EVMS is reported to be stable, it works and it doesn't matter which type
of file system is going to host. It's just a volume manager, like LVM2.
It can be more complicated to manage, but it's way more powerful and the
point of failure that can add is just the same as the one that LVM2 can do.

Novell did a very nice job interfacing OCFS2 to the HeartbeatV2 APIs for
the network heartbeats, this way we can finally have multiple network
interfaces designated to keep the cluster as much stable and reachable
as possible across the nodes. I think this would be the better way to
go, so that the OCFS2 team can concentrate on something else rather than
the network heartbeat functionalities which can be managed by the more
mature Heartbeat framework. This is my rough opinion. I also have to
admit that configuring an Heartbeat cluster would be way more
complicated compared to the simplistic OCFS2 configuration. Just my
2cents, don't take me wrong.

By the way, did Novell ever release those patches to the community? Me
and possibly other people would be very interested to try them out.

Last but not least.. a question for Sunil if he's gonna read this.. when
OCFS2 will support data-on-inode would we need to reformat the file
systems or will the new module be compatible with the <1.4 on-disk data?

Thanks team for the new OCFS2 tools by the way, now we can grow our file
systems. Yet a step forward.

Regards,
Fabio