[Ocfs2-users] lvm2 not cluster aware - okay, so how should Istripe my LUNs?

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Fri Oct 6 11:05:17 PDT 2006

It can be correct, but EVMS (which supports clustering) != lvm2 .

But I believe, that adding too many new components into existing Linux (such
as RHEL4 + GFS + EVMS + heartBeat + GLM)
means a very high possibility to catch a bug (and so have very low
reliability). Remember, that you need monthes to test such things - even if
yiu have a very good test team, you can't model all failures and real life
situations until you run it somewhere for a long.

Novell tested (show on last LinuxWorld) 4 node system with

  SLES10
    heartbeat2
    evms
    ocfsv2 using heartbeat2

and it looks reasonable minimum (except evms, which is too complicated vs
lvm2). If they (Novell) really test such thing (testing performance,
reliability, failure recovery, disk resizing and so on), it can be a very
good thing.

For now, I don't see any reliable solution except

(Stable linux, such as SLES9 S3 + updates, or possible - RHEL4 + last
updates)
  ASM (on raw devices with 1 partition)
  OCFSv2 only for complimentary FS (arch + backups) and only if you don't
need 100% reliability.
                If you need better reliability, use NFS.
  heartbeat (if required, and better not with Oracle RAC because they will
fence each other in some cases).

All other combinations looks suspicious and untested.