[Ocfs2-users] ESX and Unbreakable 2.0 OCFS2 problem

Colin.Farley at ecarecenters.com Colin.Farley at ecarecenters.com
Sun Nov 12 16:26:48 PST 2006

I'm testing a 2 node cluster in a VMWare ESX environment for use as a high
availability FTP server to support a CRM application.  Both nodes run
Unbreakable 2.0 x86_64.  They access a 300GB OCFS2 volume on an RDM LUN on
an HP EVA.  All disk connectivity is fine and haven't seen any problems
there.  The problem comes when doing some IP failover testing.  The IP
failover is done using UCARP so to test failover I tried unplugging one
nodes virtual network cable to see what happens.

If I unplug node 1 everything is fine, node 1 eventually panics and reboots
while node 0 chugs along fine.  The problem comes when unplugging node 0.
When node 0 loses network connectivity it does not panic and eventually
node 1 panics and reboots.  Is there a reason why the lower node does not
panic if it loses network connectivity?

Heartbeat thresholds are the same on each node at 31 and both nodes are set
to reboot on panic, node0 just never panics.  All software installed are
versions that come with Unbreakable 2.0.

I didn't do the config on these boxes so the first thing I'm going to do on
Tuesday when I work on this is rebuild both nodes from scratch but I
figured I would ask first to see if it was an easy question for someone on
the list to answer.

Thanks,

Colin Farley
Network Administrator