[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 v. ext3 performance

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Fri May 5 09:13:37 CDT 2006

Hello,

While playing with Oracle 10gR2 RAC on OCFS2, we decided to run some
iozone benchmarks on a single node OCFS2 v. ext3 on the same LUNs.  ext3
outperforms OCFS2 by 12 - 27% in the tests.

While we have not tested Oracle benchmarks like Swingbench on the two
filesystems yet, we are worried OCFS2 is going to cause an immediate
performance hit.

When running iozone to the shared OCFS2 on two nodes, performances gets
even worse.  This doesn't bode well for running RAC on multiple nodes
and actually increasing performance vs. a single node on ext3.

Any comments on how we can ensure performance of RAC will scale as
needed on OCFS2?

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.