[Ocfs2-users] Dinode signature problem

Valan Franklin v.franklin at sympatico.ca
Tue May 2 09:38:58 CDT 2006

Dear All:

I am building an Oracle 10G R2 cluster as outlined in Jeffrey Hunter's article 'Build your own Oracle 10g Release 2 Cluster on Linux and Firewire'. However I'm experiencing problems with the OCFS2 filesystem on the shared drive. After the system boots up and the device is mounted to the directory /u02/oradata/orcl, the kernel displays the error message "OCFS2: ERROR (device sda1): ocfs2_meta_lock_update: Dinode # 17 has bad signature KNODE01  File system is now read only due to the potential of on-disk corruption. Please run fsck.ocfs2 once the file system is unmounted.". After running fsck.ocfs2 to fix the problem, the same message appears again. I did notice this happens to dinode # 17 and 23 only. I upgraded ocfs2 to the latest version, 1.2.1.1, but the problem still appears. I also checked the Maxtor drive using their Powermax disk utility and it reported the drive is clean. Any help with this problem is appreciated.

The shared drive (Maxtor DiamonMax 80G ATA/133) is in a Nspire NSP-ED352C external drive enclosure with Firewire (Oxford 911 chipset) and USB interfaces.

System specs:
CentOS 4.2
ocfs2 ver 1.2.1.1
Firewire cards with VIA chipsets