[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 with striping

Michael Wood mwood at icts.uct.ac.za
Fri Jul 21 04:39:04 CDT 2006

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:45:05AM -0400, SRuff at fiberlink.com replied:
> I've successfully used LVM2 on Red Hat 4 with OCFS2, you are able to see
> the logical volumes on multiple nodes, after setting them up on 1.

That sounds to me like it should work, but I assume you would
have to make sure never to make any LVM changes while more than
1 node has access to the shared device(s).

This solution assumes that each disk will be shared separately
by each node, right?  If you could stripe them together on
whatever machine actually has access to the disks and then
share the logical volume or whatever as a single block device,
the nodes would not have to deal with LVM at all, I should
think.  They would just see one shared "disk", instead of 4.

On a related note, are there any plans for "Cluster LVM" support
for OCFS?  From a brief look it seems Cluster LVM uses its own
distributed lock manager, which is different from the one used
by OCFS2.  Would it be possible to use both DLMs at the same
time?  Does anyone know if CLVM or OCFS could be made to work
with another DLM so that they could both use the same one?  Am I
talking nonsense? :)

--
Michael Wood <mwood at icts.uct.ac.za>