[Ocfs2-users] out of memory... doing heavy IO on ocfs2 is wasting (low) memory?!

Alexander Finger a.finger at fotofinder.net
Mon Aug 14 00:13:02 PDT 2006

Hello!

Thanks for the fast reply.

Kurt Hackel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alexander Finger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> my problem: When I want to create a large number of small files on
>> any node at my ocfs2 cluster, after some time the oom killer starts
>> killing processes because of low LowMem. All error messages and
>> memory stats are at the end of this mail.
>
> This is a known issue that is being currently fixed for the next
> scheduled release.  At this time, once a node masters a lock resource
> (from the filesystem this would happen if the node were the first node
> to access that file) it cannot drop the mastery of that resource until
> it unmounts.  The fix is nontrivial but I'm almost done with it.  Once
> the fix is done it will need extensive testing.
This is very bad... I have prepared the whole cluster (9 nodes) already
and thought I am "close" to deployment... while functional testing the
clusters behavior was "normal" (bonnie & iozone reported good results)
after setting the scheduler to deadline, and doing other fine tuning it
crashed within minutes when I tried to copy our production data into it.
I need just minutes to crash the cluster because I need the cluster to
hold about 10 mio. files (each about 3-5 kB).

So I would suggest you send your fix to me for testing... once its
done.  ;-) ... please!

>> The only way to avoid this behavoir is to unmount the ocfs2 partition
>> after some disk operations, because LowMem (LowFree) stays low until
>> unmount... I searched the web and found many descriptions of this
>> error, but no answer how to handle this problem.
> Correct.  The only current workaround is to unmount, or to attempt to
> spread the lock resources out across all the nodes of the cluster
> (which may be impossible in your usage case).
Wonderful, how can I spread the resources? I did recognize such an
option at the documentation. The ocfs2 volume is needed "just" to store
a fast changing and very large directory tree, containing metadata files
(xml). I do not use it (at this point) for database(s) or anythying
else. The cluster has a size of ~ 290 GB. If you need further
information to explain if spreading the lock resources to other nodes or
not may help me, I'll be happy to send them to you.

Best regards,

Alexander

--
Fotofinder GmbH         USt-IdNr. DE812854514
Software Entwicklung    Web: http://www.fotofinder.net/