[Ocfs2-users] out of memory... doing heavy IO on ocfs2 is wasting (low) memory?!

Kurt Hackel kurt.hackel at oracle.com
Fri Aug 11 11:50:18 PDT 2006

Hi,

Alexander Finger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my problem: When I want to create a large number of small files on any
> node at my ocfs2 cluster, after some time the oom killer starts
> killing processes because of low LowMem. All error messages and memory
> stats are at the end of this mail.

This is a known issue that is being currently fixed for the next
scheduled release.  At this time, once a node masters a lock resource
(from the filesystem this would happen if the node were the first node
to access that file) it cannot drop the mastery of that resource until
it unmounts.  The fix is nontrivial but I'm almost done with it.  Once
the fix is done it will need extensive testing.

> The only way to avoid this behavoir is to unmount the ocfs2 partition
> after some disk operations, because LowMem (LowFree) stays low until
> unmount... I searched the web and found many descriptions of this
> error, but no answer how to handle this problem.
Correct.  The only current workaround is to unmount, or to attempt to
spread the lock resources out across all the nodes of the cluster (which
may be impossible in your usage case).

Thanks
-kurt