[Ocfs2-users] heartbeat write timeout

Silviu Marin-Caea silviu_marin-caea at fieldinsights.ro
Sun Apr 2 00:26:21 CST 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 22:36, Weller, Michael wrote:

> we are bound to SLES9SP3 (and EXACTLY that, nothing less, not a patch
> more)

Having latest updates does not hurt, on the contrary, it helps.  For example,
the latest kernel has OCFS2 1.1.8, while the kernel from SP3 has 1.1.7.
There are a number of bugfixes.

SLES updates do really have a purpose.  Apply them after testing in a
non-production system.

> It locks up immediately. Definitely nothing like a 12s timeout expires.

It just looks like it's immediate, actually, the 12s do expire.

> You mention a FAQ regarding some config option which I didn't come
> across up to now, where can I find it?

/boot/grub/menu.lst

change elevator=cfq to elevator=deadline

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/
scroll down, look at the red text

> Which options would you recommend to fix the problem or at least make
> locks much less likely.

You could also increase the timeout:

/etc/sysconfig/o2cb

# O2CB_HEARTBEAT_THRESHOLD: Iterations before a node is considered dead.
O2CB_HEARTBEAT_THRESHOLD=16