[Ocfs2-users] Shared Oracle Home

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Wed Oct 12 19:08:16 CDT 2005

SCOTT, Gavin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've implemented a 2-node RAC cluster for Transparent Application
> Failover in 9i/OCFS, and am now looking at implementing 10g/OCFS2.
>
> The OCFS2 Users Guide states that the datafile, voting disk file, OCR
> file etc volumes must be mounted with the o_direct flag, but that the
> Oracle home volume should be mounted without it. Effectively, this
> seems to require another set of shared disks just for the shared
> Oracle home.

It's "datavolume" mount option.

> Is this advice regarding the Oracle Home volume a mandatory 'should'
> or just advisory? With the size of the disks we're using at 72G it's
> hard to justify another redundant pair just for the Oracle Home unless
> it's absolutely essential (although it's not a big cost in the scheme
> of things).

There are more than one reason why you would not want to mix oracle home
and datafiles, etc. in the same volume. For starters, you would want to
use different
clustersizes... large (128k+) for datafile volume and around 32K for home.
The mount option is another. The faq has the reasoning behind this flag.

> Also, if we choose not to put in another pair of disks for the Oracle
> home, does OCFS2 still support separate Oracle installation on each
> RAC node?

Sure, why not.