[Ocfs2-users] Shared Oracle Home

SCOTT, Gavin gavin.l.scott at baesystems.com
Tue Oct 11 21:05:23 CDT 2005

Hi,

I've implemented a 2-node RAC cluster for Transparent Application Failover in 9i/OCFS, and am now looking at implementing 10g/OCFS2.

The OCFS2 Users Guide states that the datafile, voting disk file, OCR file etc volumes must be mounted with the o_direct flag, but that the Oracle home volume should be mounted without it. Effectively, this seems to require another set of shared disks just for the shared Oracle home.

Is this advice regarding the Oracle Home volume a mandatory 'should' or just advisory? With the size of the disks we're using at 72G it's hard to justify another redundant pair just for the Oracle Home unless it's absolutely essential (although it's not a big cost in the scheme of things).

Also, if we choose not to put in another pair of disks for the Oracle home, does OCFS2 still support separate Oracle installation on each RAC node?

Thanks in advance,
Gavin