[Ocfs2-users] latest code/patches for vanilla kernel

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 12 23:00:50 CDT 2005

Manish Singh wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:39:35AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
>
>>Hi everybody,
>> thanks a lot for the incredible amount of work you are doing. It's really impressive.
>>
>>I was wondering tho if it would be possible, at release/tag time, to
>>also get patches for 2.6.12 vanilla kernels like you did for 12rc4 and 12rc5.
>>That would be really awesome.
>

> Well, when 2.6.12 is out, that's what we'll do. It's not out yet though.

I meant 12rc6 but yeah..

> There are patches against 2.6.12-rc6 online.

thanks for publishing them. They were not there when i did check.

> The basic policy is that
> patches are generated against the latest released Linus kernel,
> including pre/rc variants.

great. good to know it is the standard policy. I approached ocfs2 only recently
and i am not familiar with the development model yet.

> That said, ocfs2 makes fairly localized changes. The current patch will
> apply to all 2.6.12-pre/rc and 2.6.11. The only source of potential
> conflicts are the fs Kconfig, Makefile, and documentation index files,
> which are trivially resolvable by hand.

I noticed, but i was more concerned to get bug fixes into kernel patches, rather
than in tarball releases. Generally it is easier for me to roll out one kernel
binary and install it on N machines, than having to go around install the kernel
modules too ;)

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Fabio

- --