[Ocfs2-devel] kernel BUG at ocfs2/alloc.c:1514

Russell Mosemann rmosemann at futurefoam.com
Thu May 18 05:07:47 PDT 2017

There is no need for testing. The bug is documented. Someone made the decision to crash the code rather than handle the condition. See the git commit below.

    BUG_ON(meta_ac == NULL);

Some information is in a January posting to this list from Ben Hutchings.
https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2017-January/012701.html

++++++
meta_ac is passed down from ocfs2_dio_end_io_write(), which allocates
it using ocfs2_lock_allocators()... but the latter only allocates it conditionally.  It seems like the condition is wrong somehow.
++++++

Additional insight was provided by Ian Campbell in March. It was sent this list, but I do not see it in the archive.

++++++
This still seems to be happening for this user with 4.9.13, looking at
"git log -p v4.9.13..origin/master -- fs/ocfs2" I wonder if
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/3e10b793fc40dfdbe51762e0d084bd6f2c8acaaa
might be relevant?

The commit message mentions meta_ac not getting allocated and an extent
split vs refcount split differentiation and we have ocfs2_split_extent
in the trace. Slim reasoning I know, maybe someone who knows the code
could make a better determination.
++++++

--
Russell Mosemann