[Ocfs2-devel] [patch 03/15] ocfs2: call ocfs2_journal_access_di() before ocfs2_journal_dirty() in ocfs2_write_end_nolock()

yangwenfang vicky.yangwenfang at huawei.com
Mon Dec 22 04:01:56 PST 2014

On 2014/12/18 7:00, Mark Fasheh wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 01:33:31PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>> So I now have a mess on my hands due to reordering
>> ocfs2-fix-journal-commit-deadlock.patch ahead of this patch.
>>
>> It concerns the label "out:".  Should it be placed before or after the
>> call to ocfs2_unlock_pages()?
>>
>> My current copy of ocfs2_write_end_nolock() is below, followed by my
>> current version of
>> ocfs2-call-ocfs2_journal_access_di-before-ocfs2_journal_dirty-in-ocfs2_write_end_nolock.patch
>
> You want "out:" after ocfs2_unlock_pages() to give us a chance to free any
> locked pages on the write contesxt.
>
> Btw, I have the following notes for this patch:
>

> Putting the journal_access_di in ocfs2_write_end is the correct thing to do,
> thanks. I think we want to keep the journal_access_di in ocfs2_write_begin
> though as we may change the disk inode when marking unwritten extents
> (see the call to ocfs2_mark_extent_written()). So:
>
> - I would remove the comment above journal_access_di in write_begin but not
>   the actual call as we may dirty the inode buffer later.

Hi, Mark,
About this patch, do you mean that: keep the journal_access_di() in ocfs2_write_begin,
and call journal_access_di() in the top ocfs2_write_end() again?
But I don't think it as a good idea. In some scenario, jbd2_journal_restart() might be
called after we call ocfs2_journal_access_di. and jbd2_journal_commit_transaction()
will commit the transaction. So calling ocfs2_journal_access_di() in ocfs2_write_end()
will lead to buffer_uptodate(bh) == 0, so BUG.

Am I right?

Thanks,
yangwenfang