[Ocfs2-devel] [patch 03/15] ocfs2: call ocfs2_journal_access_di() before ocfs2_journal_dirty() in ocfs2_write_end_nolock()

Mark Fasheh mfasheh at suse.de
Wed Dec 17 15:00:32 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 01:33:31PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> So I now have a mess on my hands due to reordering
> ocfs2-fix-journal-commit-deadlock.patch ahead of this patch.
>
> It concerns the label "out:".  Should it be placed before or after the
> call to ocfs2_unlock_pages()?
>
> My current copy of ocfs2_write_end_nolock() is below, followed by my
> current version of
> ocfs2-call-ocfs2_journal_access_di-before-ocfs2_journal_dirty-in-ocfs2_write_end_nolock.patch

You want "out:" after ocfs2_unlock_pages() to give us a chance to free any
locked pages on the write contesxt.

Btw, I have the following notes for this patch:

Putting the journal_access_di in ocfs2_write_end is the correct thing to do,
thanks. I think we want to keep the journal_access_di in ocfs2_write_begin
though as we may change the disk inode when marking unwritten extents
(see the call to ocfs2_mark_extent_written()). So:

- I would remove the comment above journal_access_di in write_begin but not
  the actual call as we may dirty the inode buffer later.

- Move the call to journal_access_di to the top of ocfs2_write_end_nolock as
  I believe you might be missing some inode buffer updates there too.

Thanks Andrew,
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh