[Ocfs2-devel] Extended Attribute Support?

Mark Fasheh mark.fasheh at oracle.com
Wed Jun 7 11:45:19 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 04:35:31AM -0700, EKC wrote:
> Any word on when extended attribute support will be added to OCFS2?
When we get to it ;) Seriously though, EA support is being planned for, it's
just lower on the priority list than things like sparse file support, online
resize, directory improvements, etc.

> What are the impediments to someone implementing this?
Not much - downloading the latest kernel code and editing fs/ocfs2/ to add
this :) Patches are always welcome, and actually I think EA is a good
candidate for someone who wants to contribute but doesn't yet understand the
all the cluster stuff.

As a first pass, a simple attribute block, pointed to by an __le64 in the
dinode would work fine. More improvements and optimizations could come after
that.

> I've been watching the open source Lustre fs development, too. I
> noticed that they have added extended attribute support. However,
> OCFS2 is more attractive for some applications.
Don't they get EA from ext3? Anyway, yeah Lustre does some really cool stuff
- I think we're pretty different in the types of clusters we serve though :)
	--Mark

--
Mark Fasheh
Senior Software Developer, Oracle