[Ocfs-devel] Re: [Ocfs-users] OCFS 1.0.9-6 performance with EVA 6000 Storage

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Tue Jun 1 19:29:34 CDT 2004

Heartbeating in ocfs is currently per volume. The nmthread reads 36
sectors and writes 1 sector every second or so. The io in vmstat you see
is due to heartbeat.

As far as the mount is concerned, the mount thread waits for the
nmthread the stabilize, 10 secs or so.

We are working on making the heartbeat configurable. 1.0.12 will have
some stuff regarding that.... hb and timeout values. It will not be
activated by default. We are still working out the details. That will
reduce the hb related io.

If you want to use 51 mounts, make sure your hardware can handle the io.
For e.g., if you see ocfs msgs like, "Removing nodes" and "Adding nodes"
without a node performing any mount/umount, you have a problem. In
anycase, you should use 1.0.11 at the least. In 1.0.10, we doubled the
timeout from 1.0.9.

Hope this helps.
Sunil