[Ocfs-devel] RE: [Ocfs-users] ocfs issues with 9.2.0.3

Karthik Ramadoss krama at asugroup.com
Tue Nov 11 12:08:46 CST 2003

Jim,

      I appreciate your response. I understand we are NOT supposed to
use non-Oracle files on ocfs and we are not.
But, the Scenario#2 occurs even when I resize a tablespace or create a
tablespace from an sqlplus session in Oracle.

      Sometimes, the archiver process hangs with 'D' state and puts
lots of the below messages in the alert log.
ARC1: Evaluating archive   log 3 thread 2 sequence 3
ARC1: Unable to archive log 3 thread 2 sequence 3
      We are using a common archive destination for both instances and
thats a directory on ocfs. I wonder if that could be causing the lockup
for this particular archive issue. But that still doesnt explain why
any major change to datafile like resizing or creating through Oracle
would hang.
      With our 11.5.9 - 9.2.0.3 setup we dont have Oracle-Managed Files
implemented as you may know, 11.5.9 comes with
almost 400 seeded datafiles.

Thanks,
Karthik

>>> "Fennacy, Jim" <jimf at HDCSI.com> 11/11/2003 11:47:37 AM >>>
I had the chance to talk with one of the OCFS developers recently.
I have not experienced scenario #1, so I cannot speak to that.

But for scenario #2...

OCFS v1.9 does NOT support non-Oracle managed files on the OCFS
partition.
Scenario #2 you indicated will occur.  Oracle's UTL_FILE package does
not
count as "Oracle managed files", so you cannot create/read/write files
using
UTL_FILE package.  I was told to NEVER put any files on OCFS.  Let
Oracle do
all the work.  At best there will be speed degradation; at worst the
system
will become unusable.

OCFS v2.0 will (1) support installing a shared Oracle Home on OCFS and
(2)
increased performance.  But only Oracle-managed files can exist on
OCFS.

OCFS v2.x will support any file on OCFS.  This version will be
released
along with Oracle 10G, but may be able to work with Oracle 9i.

I was also told that non-Oracle managed files on OCFS v1.9 and v2.0
only
affects Linux, technically.  Windows does not have the same problem.
But
Oracle will not support it.

We are doing OFCS on a 2-node Redhat AS2.1 cluster at two different
sites.
We had a large number of non-Oracle files on OCFS for a couple months
and
experienced repeated problems.  Since moving all the files off OCFS
the
problems have disappeared.

Hope this helps.