[graalvm-users] Benchmark

Andreas Mueller am at iit.de
Thu Mar 26 05:26:34 PDT 2020

Hi Francois,

unfortunately It seems that I might made a mistake… I don’t understand where, however...

This was an asynchronous test with request/reply (messaging). No network access, all inside the same JVM. To measure time I stamped every request with the current time and computed the delta when the reply came in. So I measured the latency. I don’t know why Nashorn had such a huge difference in latency over GraalVM.

I did some other tests today, async as well as sync. All request/reply. Unfortunately the results were quite similar. Both were able to handle about 60K requests per second. In some tests Nashorn beats GraalVM but not that much. I saw a bit more CPU usage in GraalVM and a longer warmup time for GraalVM until it reaches constant throughput.

I’m using JSR223 scripting engine. Except host access configured via Context for GraalVM there is no difference to the Nashorn engine. We use ES5. The JS are quite large and nested IIFEs (generated). The scripts run in different threads with engine scope. Each script within their own thread context. They communicate through queues that are provided from the Java part. All actions (events) are initiated from the Java part and then interface into the JS parts and from there back into Java and so fort.

I’d be glad to setup another test that might bring GraalVM in front of Nashorn.

Aside from this I’m quite happy with GraalVM. After a few changes I was able to run all our scripts with it. We will use GraalVM in our Docker distribution for the next release.

Regards,
Andreas
--
Andreas Mueller