[graalvm-users] Question about js.experimental-foreign-object-prototype option

Christian Wirth christian.wirth at oracle.com
Fri Jul 26 04:00:33 PDT 2019

Hi Carlos,

thank you for your question.

The JavaScript language is very lenient towards what it accepts as
array. If an object has a "length" property, it behaves like an array.
What you provide fulfils that requirement, and can thus be sorted (and
searched, filtered, etc.).

However, what you provide does not have `Array.prototype` assigned as
its prototype. You are basically calling `({}).sort();`, resulting in a
TypeError in plain JS (or the "Message not supported" in Interop). From
JS language semantics, the right thing to do would be
`Array.prototype.sort.call(myInteropObj);`. That, however, requires a
change in your source code and potentially libraries that you use.

To mitigate that, we have the /js.experimental-foreign-object-prototype
/option that you found already. This forces the Array.prototype on
array-like object; however, this option might also break other code,
which is why we don't use that behavior by default.

The option is experimental as we are not sure yet whether this is the
right way to go for a longer time, or whether we can support that in a
better way in the future. In this case, `experimental` really means:
there is no guarantee that exactly this option, with exactly this
behavior, will exist in future releases. We are aware of the usecase
though and will see to support it in reasonable fashion in any case.

Your feedback that you are using this option is helpful to us: the more
we know about "experimental" features being used in practice, the more
we will see to have them as stable features.

Best,
Christian