[graalvm-users] GraalVM to extend a native framework

Dmitry Timofeev dmytro.tymofeev at bitfury.com
Wed May 2 09:06:34 PDT 2018

Hi,

I’m working on making a framework in a native language (Rust) extensible
in other languages (Java, Python). We currently use JNI, which is
low-level and error-prone. I consider if GraalVM would make some things
easier or make the integration more efficient. Would anyone please help
with these questions?

1. Is it a good use-case for GraalVM? It seems so from the docs, as
GraalVM aims to eliminate the costs associated with calling code running
on a VM from the native code and vice-versa.
2. The reference documentation says C --> Java is not supported yet, but
coming soon. Does it mean that developers will be able to use Java from
C with /no/ JNI (= pass arbitrary structs, call any Java method from any
native thread)? Is it going to be a viable full-featured replacement for
any JNI use-case?
3. If I do such integration of a native language with Java the old way —
using JNI, native methods and libraries — but run on GraalVM, will this
application enjoy any inter-language optimizations?

Thanks!

--
Dmitry

--
THIS COMMUNICATION AND ANY ATTACHMENTS MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION OF THE SENDER. ALL UNAUTHORIZED USE, DISCLOSURE OR DISTRIBUTION IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES OF THIS COMMUNICATION. THANK YOU.