[fedfs-utils] missing fedfs-utils-server RPM dependency?

Ian Kent ikent at redhat.com
Wed Mar 6 23:39:10 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-12 at 13:03 -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Hi Ian-

Sincere apologies for not checking the mailing list sooner.

> I installed the fedfs-utils-server RPM and discovered that it does not
> pull in fedfs-utils-lib.  Should it?  Or do I misunderstand the intent
> of fedfs-utils-server?  Is that for installing only rpc.fedfsd?

I guess that makes sense but AFAICS rpc.fedfsd doesn't actually depend
on it. I can add it as a dependency if you believe it's needed?

There's a bigger issue though and that is the break down of packages.
You asked if we could have fedfs-utils install the cluster of
sub-packages for simplicity.

That is a good idea IMHO but while working on bug 889174 I noticed that
to do that we would need to make the base package depend on almost all
the sub-packages. The packaging guidelines specifically say if that's
the case then the need for sub-packages should be re-considered.

Some packages seem to have got away with creating a separate
meta-package which depends on all or most of the packages in the
cluster. I don't know how the maintainers got that by the packaging
committee and I don't really think it's a good idea for us to try.

Given the changes for bug 889174 have only recently been done it's
probably not a good time to make such a fundamental packaging change.
It's probably best done at the next source version update.

Thoughts?

> Also, if you're already mucking about in the SPEC file to address
> bugzilla 889174, could you update the Source URL to point to the
> correct tarball location:
>
>   http://git.linux-nfs.org/?p=cel/fedfs-releases.git;a=summary

Yeah, the git URL is a bit unwieldy, it's huge.
How about we find a home for the tarballs, like kernel.org, somewhere
near the location of autofs seems sensible to me?

I can contact kernel.org support and request it and upload the tarballs
if you wish.

> And the project webpage (listed by "yum info") should be:
>
>   http://wiki.linux-nfs.org/wiki/index.php/FedFsUtilsProject

I'll do that.

Ian