[rds-devel] How to port an existing app based on UDP with RDS over InfiniBand?

santosh shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at oracle.com
Fri Oct 23 08:45:16 PDT 2015

On 10/22/2015 11:12 PM, Chen Nai wrote:
> Hi, all:
> For an application written with the traditional sockets (SOCK_DGRAM),
> how to translate it with RDS over IB?
> Is there any user shared library to pre-load RDS protocol without code
> recoding and recompiling of the existing applications, just like libsdp.so?

Right. SDP in your one option currently available/used.

> How to compare and  benchmark the performance between UDP over GE and
> RDS over IB, including network rate, TPS and transport latency? I have
> added RDS_STREAM performance test on netperf-2.7.0 according to the
> following patch written by Mr. Vladimir Sokolovsky
> https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/rds-devel/2007-January/000053.html
> <https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/rds-devel/2007-January/000053.html>
> Besides, I compared the throughput with a graph between RDS over IPoIB,
> RDS over GE, UDP over IPoIB Send/Recv, UDP over GE Send/Recv. Could I
> post it for a reference? Next I plan to support RDS_RR on netperf-2.7.0
> to benchmark the round-trip time (network latency) and compare UDP_RR.

So if you happen are interested in:
1. existing application with SOCK_DGRAM using IB (SDP), you can just use
usual netperf/iperf etc.

2. If you modify application and make use of RDS sockets and would like
to some measurements, you can use 'qperf'. More tools are available in
general if you make use of ofed perf tools.

3. Most of us for RDS performance measurement, make use rds-tools

Hope you find above useful.

Regards,
Santosh

[1] https://www.openfabrics.org/index.php/openfabrics-software.html